Heritage & History

The Tullamore Dew Heritage Centre has been developed by a partnership between Tullamore Urban District Council, Offaly County Council, the Offaly Historical and Archaeological Society, Midland East Regional Tourism Authority and Cantrell and Cochrane Group who own the Tullamore Dew Irish Whiskey and Irish Mist Liqueur Brands in association with Tullamore Chamber of Commerce and the Tullamore Tidy Towns.

For more information on Offlay History, Family Research and Geneaology visit http://www.offalyhistory.com

Tullamore Phoenix Festival Events at The Heritage Centre
The Heritage Centre will be offering discounted rates for everyone over the festival weekend so whether you’re visiting Tullamore or your a local , this will be the ideal time to get out a learn the intriguing history behind Tullamore due and the town. The exhibition relates the story of Tullamore Dew Whiskey and the work that used to take place in the distillery. Visitors can wander through the various recreated working stations of the distillery such as the malting, bottling, corking, cooperage areas and the warehouse where the old oak barrels filled with Tullamore Dew Whiskey were left to mature. The other theme of the exhibition is the story of the development of Tullamore. The journey starts 9,000 years ago with the formation of the bog. Here, visitors will be able to learn about raised bogs and see the different uses of peat. Then, from a mere village, Tullamore developed rapidly to become one of the fastest growing towns in the Midlands.
www.tullamore-dew.org

People of Tullamore
The Bury name is part of local history and the namesake lives on in street names like William Street and Bury Quay. Members of the Bury family have had an impact on the lives of the people of Tullamore. From early on, the granting of long advantageous leases meant that tenants could reap benefits by making building investments to their property. As landlords they saw fit to develop industry in the town. They are rightly given the responsibility for bringing the Grand Canal to Tullamore which led to the development of the town by making the export of local produce easy. They are responsible for buildings and monuments like St Catherine’s Church, the Courthouse, the Gaol and Tullamore’s first hotel, the Phoenix Arms. Probably most importantly Charleville Castle, with its famous gothic style architecture is today not only an important visitor attraction but also a college, the home of the Tullamore agriculture show and this festival weekend a music venue!

Exploration
Also in recent times, a name synonymous to none other than that of a hero, Col Charles Howard Bury, led the reconnaissance expedition to Mt Everest in 1921. He lived in Belvedere until his death in 1963.

Family Tree
Our story begins after the plantation of James 1 (c1620’s) when lands of the O’Molloy’s was distributed to Sir John Moore. John Moore lived in Croghan and it wasn’t until c.1700 that the Moores decided to lease Croghan and live on their Tullamore property. John Moore, married in 1697, and built a large house in O’ Carroll St (Henry St).
John Moore became the first lord of Tullamore in 1716. It is in this same year that we see the development of a barracks in the town. He was succeeded by his son Charles who became the 1st Earl of Charleville in 1757.

1st Earl of Charleville
Charles, the 1st, moved from the family home at O’Carroll St to Redwood, later known as Brookfield, and then Charleville. Charles had no family (his death meant the loss of the title Earl) and his lands passed to his nephew, John, son of his sister Jane and William Bury of Co. Limerick. John Bury was drowned in a swimming accident in 1764. His son Charles William Bury in 1785 (coincidently the same year as the Great Balloon Fire) inherited over 23,000 acres and became the Earl of Charleville, 2nd creation.

1st Earl of Charleville, second creation
It is this Charles William Bury who is responsible for the coming of the Canal, Charleville Castle, the Courthouse, and the Gaol. It was through these works that Tullamore was to become the county town of Co. Offaly in 1833.
Charles William Bury, 1st Earl, married Lady Catherine Maria Tisdall in 1798 and had a son Charles William.

2nd Earl of Charleville
Charles William, 2nd Earl, married Lady Harriet Charlotte Beaujolais in 1821. It was Lady Charlotte who was responsible for the wonderful designs which went into Charleville castle interior. They had two sons, Charles, 3rd Earl, and Alfred.

3rd Earl of Charleville
Charles, 3rd Earl, married Lady Arabella and had three children, Lady Emily, Lady Katherine and Charles, 4th Earl.

4th / 5th Earl of Charleville
Charles, 4th Earl, died without issue and passed the lands to his Uncle Alfred, 5th Earl, as mentioned above. After the death of Alfred, the lands passed to Lady Emily, his niece (above). With the death of Alfred, 5th Earl, the title became extinct.

Howard Bury
Lady Emily married Capt. Kenneth Howard in 1881, Capt Howard assumed the additional Surname Bury. Lady Emily and Capt Howard Bury had two children, Col Charles Howard Bury and Lady Marjorie. It is this Col Howard Bury who is of fame for his reconnaissance expedition to Everest in 1921. Col Howard Bury inherited Charleville estate but had no family of his own. On his death in 1963 he passed the estate to his cousin, Major William Bacon Hutton. (below)

Hutton Bury
Lady Katherine married Col Edmund Bacon Hutton in 1873 and had children, one of whom a son William. Major William Bacon Hutton on the death of Col Howard Bury, assumed the surname Bury by deed poll in 1964. Major William married Bly in 1940 and their son David Hutton Bury is the owner of Charleville Estate today.

HOME - FULL PROGRAMME - HOW TO GET HERE - ACCOMMODATION - HOT AIR BALLOONS - OUTDOOR CONCERTS - PUB MUSIC TRAIL - ART EXHIBITIONS - KIDS WORKSHOPS - BUNGEE JUMPING - WATERWAY - SPORTS - HERITAGE/ HISTORY - ELECTRONIC / MULTIMEDIA - STREET ENTERTAINMENT - FIREWORKS & PHOENIX - LINKS -SPONSORS - Site by: DOTSER IT Solutons

Esker House - Patrick Street - Tullamore - County Offaly - Ireland - Phone: 057 9324606 - Email: info@phoenixfestival.ie